Friday, November 13, 2009

Praying for My Brother Dan

Good evening my friends. I post tonight heavy hearted. My brother Dan has still not shown any real improvement. His lungs are not working well at all. Dialysis continues for the third day and it is amazing how much fluid they continue to take off of him. His kidneys are just unable to keep up with his needs.
The doctors are not optimistic at this point. There is still hope that further dialysis will improve lung function to a point he may improve. The outlook is poor at best. I find myself in one of those dark and disturbing places contemplating the fact my brother may not survive. I see the grief on my Dad's face every day and my heart breaks. I have not as yet been blessed with children but I cannot imagine the grief of watching a child go through the pains of life support, dialysis, and the litany of procedures Dan has had to endure the past weeks.
My brother and I have had strains in our relationship over the years but recently I was very proud of him as I saw him taking dramatic control and responsibility for his life. He had been getting assistance with re-training and had planned to start classes in information technology. We had recently spoken about his future and he was seeking my advice on getting started. What was more moving is that he had taken even more dramatic steps to right his life with God. My father is the director of Latino ministries at Cross Roads Community Church in Elkhart, IN. Dan has been attending the Latino service on a regular basis and the affect on his life was visible. It had been a moment of joy in my dad's heart seeing Dan actively seeking God in his life.
His condition is a hard pill to swallow knowing his life was beginning to turn and he had pointed his feet in the right direction. My only piece of mind is that if his time here is short, it won't be long before he is with Christ and his suffering will be over forever. God is great and amazing. I am still praying fervently for my brother's recovery. Anything is possible through Him. I pray that all who know me will lift my brither up even more than they have and that God has a long future planned for Dan with his family and friends. If God has chosen that Dan is to come home to Him than I honor God's will and ask for prayer for my family and myself as we deal with a future without my brother.
I leave it God's hands and ask for your continued prayers. Thanks so much my friends and God Bless..

No comments: