Wednesday, May 6, 2009

UAC and VMWare Infrastructure Update in Vista

First off,  let me start and say I don’t have much bad to say about Windows Vista. It has it’s issues just as other Windows releases have. It is in no way comparable to the disaster of Windows ME. It has been a big win everywhere I have installed it for my clients.

With that off my chest let’s get to what I intended to talk about. I have a lot of ESXi installs out there and  I have learned that like every other OS, its needs to be patched on a regular basis. The Infrastructure update tool is pretty easy to use and and does a nice job. Here is the caveat I ran into with Vista and my hope is this will make someone else’s life a lot easier if they run into this problem.

When trying to run the Infrastructure tool at a site I kept getting the error “VMware update site is unavailable. Try again later.” Well one time is a fluke, a second time is strange, and a third indicates you have a problem. I did all the firewall stuff searching for blocked traffic and the like. No dice. I am really scratching my head on this and then after and looking at a more detailed error I saw that the Infrastructure Client was spitting out an error of Access Denied in one of the logs. BINGO! I know why it is  not working.

Here is the solution and it is a good one to keep in mind for any odd errors when the system you are using is running Vista. I closed to the VMWare Infrastructure Update tool and re-opened it by right-clicking on the icon an selecting “Run as Administrator.” Sure enough…problem solved. It went right to VMWare and downloaded almost 200 Megs of patches for my host.

I hope this little tidbit  is useful when you are stuck and can’t figure out why your application is spitting out a weird errors . It really sucks to be stuck with no idea why something is broken. This solution is one for everyone’s mental toolbox.

Thanks for reading and please check back soon, follow me on twitter, or subscribe to the RSS for my blog.

No comments: